Comment on page
This guide will walk you through setting up
renterdon macOS. At the end of this guide, you should have:
- Installed Sia
- Created a
- Network Access:
renterdinteracts with the Sia network, so you need a stable internet connection and open network access to connect to the Sia blockchain.
- System Updates: Ensure that your macOS is up to date with the latest system updates, as these updates can contain important security fixes and improvements.
Remember to check which version to download to ensure it works correctly with your operating system. To do this, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your toolbar, then click About This Mac. If the processor/chips says:
- Intel -
- M1 or M2 -
- 2.Now that we have downloaded
renterd, you may need to unzip it and move it to a more accessible location:
- Double-click the downloaded
renterdzip file to unzip it if it hasn't done so automatically.
- Click on the newly unzipped directory.
- Right-click on the path bar at the bottom of the Finder window and click Open in Terminal.
- 3.In the opened terminal window, move the
/usr/local/binby running the following command and press enter:
sudo mv renterd /usr/local/bin
You'll be prompted to authorize this action by providing your system password. Type this in and press enter to continue.
- 4.Finally, for good practice, create a folder on the home drive. This folder will be utilized specifically to store data related to the
renterduses BIP-39 12-word recovery phrases. If you already have a 12-word seed, skip this step; run the following command to generate a new wallet recovery phrase:
A new 12-word recovery phrase will be generated, so please copy and store it in a safe place, as you will need this phrase to recover your wallet.
Generating a recovery phrase
- 1.Run the following in your terminal command to start
You will be prompted to input both:
API password- You choose this password, which can be anything you want. It will be used to unlock the
renterdUI via your browser and should be something secure and easy to remember.
wallet seed- The recovery phrase is the 12-word phrase you generated in the previous step. Type it carefully, with one space between each word, or copy it from the previous step.
These values are not stored anywhere and will be requested every time you start
You can also set the RENTERD
_API_PASSWORDenvironment variables so you do not have to re-enter the values every time.
- 2.After entering your desired
API passwordand the created
- 3.You can now access the
renterdUI by opening a browser and going to
Remember to leave the terminal window open while
renterdit is running. If you close the command prompt window,
renterd Login UI
API passwordyou created in the previous step to unlock
Congratulations on successfully setting up
renterdand taking a significant step towards renting storage space on the Sia network.
It is essential to keep your renter up to date. New versions of
renterdare released regularly and contain bug fixes and performance improvements.